There’s been a lot of buzz recently around the new ATSC standard and what it will mean for you. Our talented nerd group at Antennas Direct are currently in Washington, D.C. to learn more about ATSC 3.0. To give you a quick background, a portion of the spectrum is used for wireless, so the new ATSC 3.0 standard is the biggest thing to happen since the digital transition. And that is HUGE! Moral of the story, over the air television is going to just keep getting better, and that is what we like to hear!
Here are a few key points on ATSC 3.0:
- Television broadcasters are leading the way with the new system that will merge the capabilities of OTA broadcasting with the internet.
- Broadcasters are evolving to meet the needs of today’s viewers and advertisers. They have YOU in mind.
- This next generation broadcast platform merges the best capabilities of over the air and broadband feeling. The result is a convergence of the most popular method of watching live events with the variety of programming available online.
- Next generation transmission system that can deliver 4K Ultra HD images with high dynamic range plus interactive features and multichannel immersive audio.
- ATSC 3.0 is the world’s first broadcast standard built on an internet protocol backbone. This offers the advantage of both broadcast and broadband, designed to integrate with internet delivered content, ATSC 3.0 will present viewers with more streams, more choices, more channels and more flexibility.
- Adaptable for single frequency network transmission systems that can overcome the physical challenges to deliver TV deep inside buildings and on the go. The result is better indoor reception and wide coverage for mobile devices.
ATSC 3.0 is flexible, adaptable and focused on the future, today.
Overall, this is great news for viewers, making it easier for them to watch the live, over the air content they love, when they want it and where they want it.
Following is the full video released today to learn more about ATSC 3.0.